Built by North American in their Kansas City Plant, out B-25D Mitchell was delivered in October 1943 to the USAAF advanced flying school at La Junta, Colorado. It was then overhauled in 1944, after over 1500 flying hours, for lend lease with the RAF. Post war she flew as part of the Northwest Air Command, responsible for the defence of Western Canada.
Eventually struck off charge in 1962, the aircraft passed through several private owners -including use as a fire bomber. In 1987, after more than 10 years of storage, “Grumpy” was acquired TFC. After restoration in Chino, Tony Ritzman and Stephen Grey flew the aircraft to Duxford, UK.
This aircaft moved on from TFC in 2003, where it was placed in storage at North Weald. In 2008 it was restored to an airworthy condition and returned to the US.
Photo by Phil Camp